Shoreland, Wetland & Pond Information
Wetlands in Kenosha CountyFor help identifying wetlands on your property visit, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources online. If you plan to build on your property, you may need to hire a qualified consultant to help you identify wetland boundaries and the areas of your property that may not be suitable for development. To identify a qualified wetland consultant near you, take a look at Wetland Delineation Consultants.
Know if you have a wetlandKnowing if wetlands are present can help people buy property that meets their needs –– and enables them to protect wetlands while avoiding legal troubles, flooded basements and shifting foundations that can occur when wetlands are built on. Awareness of wetlands can help you enjoy, explore, restore, or enhance them. Follow these steps:
- Review maps
- If the map indicates wetlands, consult a professional
- Walk the property with a wetland clues checklist
- Use the color brochure Waking Up To Wetlands
- If you see indications of wetlands, consult a professional
- Explore your options
More on Wetland ProtectionVisit the Wisconsin Wetlands Association, dedicated to the protection, restoration and enjoyment of wetlands and associated ecosystems through science-based programs, education and advocacy.
The third edition (2011) of the Corps of Engineers St. Paul District's, Wetland Plants and Plant Communities of Minnesota and Wisconsin is now available with over 300 species of plants organized into 15 wetland plant communities and illustrated by 600 digital photographs, as well as ink drawings for the grasses and sedges.
The WDNR Surface Water Data Viewer, an interactive mapping tool providing primarily water-related data including the Wisconsin Wetland Inventory.
The Regional Map Server is a mapping application that provides access to planning and resource maps of the Southeastern Wisconsin Region.
Currently, the maps available on the Regional Map Server include:
- Southeastern Wisconsin Native Wetland Plants
- Shoreland Pond Waterway Contractors
- Shoreland Zoning Information Sheet
- Shoreland Permit Procedures
- Information for Building Structures Near a Navigable Waterway
- Building within the Camp Lake / Center Lake Floodplain Fringe-Overlay District
- Pond APM Applicators